PROCEDURES FOR BECOMING LICENSED
1. Before applying for a City of Indio Business License you must:
2. Before applying for a City of Indio Business License please check if the following applies to you:
3. Inspection by the following departments will be required:
4. The Business License application will be reviewed along with inspection reports from the various departments. At that time, if all requirements are met, the license will be issued.
5. Licenses will be valid for one year from date of issue. Allow ten working days for processing of license application.
6. Renewal notices will be sent out as a courtesy reminder. However, the responsibility for renewal lies with the business owner, and failure to receive the renewal notice will not relieve the applicant of any obligation for payment or penalties for the delinquency.
Sales or use tax may apply to your business activity. You may seek written advice regarding the application of tax to your particular business by writing to the California Board of Equalization at 35-900 Bob Hope Dr. Ste 280 Ranch Mirage CA 92270 or 760-770-4828.
Any person required to pay a Business License tax for transacting and/or carrying on any business within the City of Indio shall remain subject to the regulatory provisions of other sections of the Indio City Code, especially as they apply to Zoning, Land Use, Building regulations and Fire regulations.
|$ 0.00||Residential / Senior Citizens|
Emergency information will be given to the Indio Police Department, in the event they must respond to an alarm call. Penalties will apply to excessive false alarm responses. To apply for a permit contact the Indio Finance Department at 760-391-4040.
BUSINESSES WITH A COMMERCIAL LOCATION IN INDIO
Businesses with a commercial location in Indio must complete a *Business License application, Worker’s Compensation declaration, and undergo a code compliance review by the City’s Building, Planning, Police, and Fire departments. The purpose of this review is for your safety and public safety to ensure the building is within City code prior to opening your business. Please refer to fee schedule. The City of Indio encourages prospective business owners to complete the code compliance review prior to signing a lease or agreeing to purchase the building. The review generally takes two to three weeks to complete. A business Licenses application may be requested by phone, downloaded from this site, or picked up in person.
* The city of Indio business license tax is based on total gross receipts, which can be estimated for the first year of business.
BUSINESSES LOCATED OUTSIDE THE CITY OF INDIO
Businesses located outside the City of Indio are also required to obtain a business license prior to conducting business in the City. A business Licenses application may be requested by phone, downloaded from this site, or picked up in person. The Business License Tax, for businesses located outside of Indio, is based on gross receipts earned in Indio only.
RESIDENTIAL RENTAL PROPERTIES: SHORT AND LONG TERM
All homeowners renting out property for 30 days or less at a time are required to obtain a business license and a short-term rental permit.
Please click here to continue if that pertains to you.
LONG-TERM RESIDENTIAL RENTAL PROPERTIES
All homeowners renting out property for more than 30 days at a time are required to obtain a business license and renew it annually. Depending on the number of long-term rental (LTR) properties owned, the license tax and application fees are charged as follow:
1. Owner of a single long-term rental (LTR), regardless of the gross rents received, will pay $69 in fees to obtain a business license for the first year and $24 to renew thereafter. No license tax due.
2. Owner of two LTR’s, regardless of the gross rents received, will pay $69 in fees on the first property and $129 on the second property for the first year. The property owner will pay $24 in fees on each property to renew thereafter. No license tax due.
3. Owner of three LTR’s with $36,000 in gross rents received from all properties will pay $69 for the first property, $129 for the second, and $189 for the third (including $60 in license tax for gross rents up to $50,000). To renew, the property owner will pay $24 for first and second property and $84 for the third.
4. Owner of five LRT’s, with $120,000 in gross rents received from all properties, will pay $69 in fees for the first property and $129 for each of the four properties. In addition, the owner will also pay $74 in license tax based on the $120,000 gross rents from all properties. To renew, the property owner will pay $24 in fees for each property, and an additional $74 in license tax.
Anyone wanting to conduct business from their homes must first obtain a business license. At the time of the initial application, you will be asked to fill out a code compliance review form along with a Business License application. The purpose of the code compliance review for a home occupation is to ensure that business activities in residential areas comply with certain additional conditions and does not disturb the quality of life of that neighborhood. Please refer to fee schedule. Those living within a gated community must furnish a letter from their Homeowner’s Associated stating that the business operation is not in violation of their By-Laws.
The following are examples of home occupations:
- Consulting / Professional Services
- Swimming Pool cleaning Service
- Gardening Services
- Home Office Salesperson
For more information concerning a “Home Occupation” please call the City of Indio Business License Department at (760) 391-4197.
BUSINESSES REQUIRING A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
Certain types of business activity may require City Council approval. Prior to going before the City Council, the owners of these businesses must pass a background investigation conducted by the Indio Police Department. Upon approval of the background investigation, the application will be placed on the City Council Agenda. After Council approval, a Business License can be issued.
The background investigation may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Review of criminal conduct by the applicant
- Names and addresses of all employees
- Fingerprints of all employees
- Photographs of all employees
- Proper Federal, State, County, and Local permits and fees as required
- Review of “called for service” at the business location for a one to five year period
The fee for the background investigation is to be paid at the time of application. The Business License Tax based on estimated gross receipts is to be paid at the time of application prior to City Council approval.
Because of the Police Department investigation, and scheduling of the application on the City council Agenda, the processing time for these applications is longer than normal. At the time you turn in your application, the Business License Rep. can give a general idea of the time involved.
The following is a list of businesses that would require a background investigation:
|Auctions / Public Sales
Billiards / Pool Rooms
Boxing / Wrestling Exhibitions
Cabarets / Nightclubs
|Coin Operated Devices
Junk Dealers / Auto Wreckers
Pawnbrokers / Second Hand
Peddlers / Solicitors
Sexually Oriented Business
FIRE DEPARTMENT (CDF)
California Department of Forestry of Riverside County conducts fire and life safety inspections of all businesses on an annual basis. In addition, a safety inspection will be made as part of you Business License inspection.
The primary goal of this inspection program is to eliminate those hazards that may cause fires which could disrupt your business operations.
Inspections cover such areas as fire extinguishers, electrical safety, proper exiting and housekeeping practices. Some examples of business operations which require special handling are:
- Automotive Repair Garages
- Spray Painting Operations
- Cabinet Shops and Woodworking
- Upholstery Shops
- Welding Shops
- Businesses using, storing or manufacturing flammable liquids, chemicals, hazardous materials, or explosive materials.
- Above Ground or Under Ground Storage Tanks.
- Large Public Gatherings, such as shows, exhibits, sporting events, etc.
Our inspection personnel are available to assist you in fire safety matters, Monday – Friday, 9AM – 5PM
Information should be given to the Indio Police Department, indicating an emergency contact person and their phone number. This will be used in the event of an after hours emergency at your place of business. (See “Alarm Permits” above)
Police Department administrative staff, Code Enforcement and patrol personnel are ready to assist you in any way possible.
DIAL 911 FOR PARAMEDIC AMBULANCE AND POLICE EMERGENCY SERVICES