Short Term Rentals

Ordinance No. 1766 [Short-Term Rentals]
(Ordinance adopted at December 1, 2021 Council Meeting )


Short-Term Residential Rental (STR) requirements:

To view a map of registered Short Term Rentals in the City of Indio - Click Here

Owners of Short-Term Residential Rentals, besides a business license, are also required to obtain and renew a Short-Term Rental Permit and register for the purposes of collecting Transient Occupancy Tax. Starting June 15, 2017, the business license and the short-term rental permit will be issued as one combined document. The annual renewal of the short-term rental permit will be done automatically with the business license. Starting February 15, 2022, the fee to obtain a permit and renew it annually is $1,633.00, in addition to the business license fee and tax. 

Letter to STR Owners - Jan. 14, 2022

A. Short-Term Residential Rental managed by the home owner.

The permit application is submitted simultaneously with the business license application or when a long-term residential rental is converted to a short-term rental. 

B. Short-Term Residential Rental under property management company.

The management company should submit only once  "Part-1" of the following application, and for each unlicensed property under management - "Part-2" plus  the business license application above.

The Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT), also known as room tax or bed tax, is a tax collected by the business operator from guests, or transients, with the room payment and, subsequently, remitted to the City of Indio. The current tax rate is 13%. The registration is onetime and is free of charge.  A management company collecting rents on STR rentals, should register for TOT  reporting purposes. Properties under management do not have to register for TOT.

C. Reporting Forms 

Operators of Short-Term Residential rentals are required on quarterly basis to report and submit to the city transient occupancy tax collected. Reports are due by the end of the month following the quarter end (April 30th for first quarter, July 31st for second, etc). Property management companies should submit monthly one summary report for all properties they manage, along with a detail schedule showing tax collected for each property under management.

Monthly TOT/TBID Reporting Forms
Quarterly TOT/TBID Reporting Forms

Greater Palm Springs TBID Assessment of 1%

Vacation rental owners and agents should begin preparing to remit the 1% assessment to the City of Indio starting July 1, 2021. Read more here.

For more information, please refer to the Short Term Rental Resolution and the Short Term Rental Ordinance.