Indio PD FAQ's

How old do I have to be to apply?

20 ½ years of age to apply, and 21 by time of appointment; there is no other age limit.

What are the education requirements?

A H.S. Diploma or GED equivalent or greater is required.

Do you have to be a United States citizen to become a police officer?

Yes. California State law (California Government Code, sec. 1031) requires that peace officers be U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens who are eligible for citizenship. The Indio Police Department will allow you to test for the position of police officer while your application is being processed for citizenship; however, you will not be given a job offer until your citizenship is granted.

What is a "Lateral Transfer"?

This classification is for experienced police officers who have graduated from a P.O.S.T. certified basic academy, completed a probation period of full-time sworn police experience and be in possession of a California P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate at the time of filing the employment application.

What is the process for an out of state lateral officer applicant?

All out of state applicants will need to complete a California Peace Officer Standards & Training (P.O.S.T.) academy, or have a (P.O.S.T.) Basic Waiver Certificate upon successfully challenging or completing the (P.O.S.T.) requirements.

If I am an out of state applicant can I consolidate any part(s) of the hiring process?

A limited amount of consolidation could occur during the hiring process.

What is P.O.S.T.?

The California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) is responsible for regulating and certifying all law enforcement agencies in the state. For more information about P.O.S.T. visit their web page at is external)

What is a P.O.S.T. Certificate?

The POST Basic Certificate is the first of several levels of professional peace officer certificates issued by the state. The POST Basic Certificate is required within 18 months of being appointed as a peace officer. You can obtain a California Basic POST Certificate in two ways: 1) Seek employment with an agency that sponsors recruits through a POST basic police academy. 2) Sponsor yourself through one of the POST basic police academies which accepts independent recruits. For more information about P.O.S.T. visit their web page at is external)

During the testing process, do you receive additional points for being in the military service?

No. However, military service, education, training and/or work experience will be included in your background file for review by the administration during the selection process.

How do I apply if I have already completed the P.O.S.T. Basic academy?

We accept applications from academy graduates on a continuous basis.

Do you have to live in Indio?

No. You do not need to be a resident of the City of Indio, but you do need to be a resident of the State of California.

Do you have a tuition reimbursement program?

Yes. The City of Indio offers a tuition reimbursement of $2000.00 per year.

What kind of work schedule do the patrol officers have?

Patrol officers work 3/12 work schedule, with an assigned 8 hour day, providing three days off one week and four days off the following week.

Can I do a ride a long during the hiring process?

If you reach the background process a ride a long will be scheduled for you by your background investigator.